Who We Are
Set to launch in Feb 2021, AMAKA Studio (AMAKA) is a London-based multimedia digital publisher that develops and curates nuanced topics ranging from fashion, beauty, entertainment, politics, social issues, innovation, entrepreneurship and arts & culture, by and for women from Africa and the African diaspora. We are cultural change makers, devoted to providing a platform that highlights the diversity and dynamism of Pan-African womanhood.
What We Do and What We Bring
AMAKA adopts a multidisciplinary and cross cultural approach to content creation, storytelling and editorial narratives, offering our audience in-depth captivating stories that represent various Afro-diasporic women communities. Through immersive URL and IRL experiences, AMAKA is devoted to cultivating a sense of community, unity and collaboration amongst creatively driven and culturally dynamic women.
AMAKA is looking for a Multimedia Editorial Director to work at an exciting new startup to lead AMAKA's editorial direction. The ideal candidate possesses a strong interest in storytelling and editorial production and ideation. You are able to bring our editorial strategy to life across online and offline channels, creating editorial narratives and brand programmes that forge and cultivate an integrated community that values inclusivity, purposefulness and amelioration for women from Africa and across the Diaspora. You are an excellent collaborator and team player, with the ability to work independently. You are never afraid to speak your mind and you are interested in developing a passionate and transformative brand that is devoted to the advancement of Africa’s women around the world.
What You Will Do
- Work closely with the CEO and Sales and Business Development Manager to develop robust editorial content.
- Develop and refine AMAKA’s content pillars.
Lead the editorial development of the AMAKA brand.
- Conceptualize and execute AMAKA's editorial calendar, editorial products and brand programmes.
- Work collaboratively with AMAKA’s creative partners to execute the editorial and launch strategy.
- Host and organize events, live panel discussions, interviews, webinars and podcast sessions with key public figures and influencers.
- Work closely with writers, contributors and content creators.
- Develop talent and influencer relationships for event activations and editorial stories.
Identify and recruit viable candidates for contributing roles.
- Manage contributors and edit submissions.
- Work across various mediums, including developing engaging and creative print, video, digital, newsletter and experiential editorial content.
- Develop creative editorial themes, timely topics and issues related to women from Africa and the diaspora.
- Manage deadlines and deliver on-time weekly content.
- Highlight and report monthly reports on AMAKA’s editorial performance.
- Act as an ambassador for AMAKA, delivering AMAKA's brand story, values and mission to drive brand awareness.
What You Bring
- At least 5 years as an Editorial director or in an Editor role.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or a related field.
- Experience in digital media.
- Prior experience writing for and managing a range of editorial subjects is preferred (such as fashion, beauty, lifestyle, culture, music, arts and social issues, innovation and entrepreneurship).
- Strong interest, knowledge and passion for African and Afro-diasporic pop cultures as well as current cultural, political, social and creative trends and affairs across Africa and the African Diaspora.
- Professional experience with hosting live panel discussions, interviews, podcasts, events and/or webinars.
- Experience in developing editorial strategies for experiential, print and digital platforms.
- An understanding of creating shoppable content that incorporates affiliate links and commerce products.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills as well as deadline oriented.
Ability to lead and work in a start-up environment.
- Strong creative skills.
- Possess exceptional leadership skills.
- Possess a good eye for storytelling and exceptional editorial narratives.
- Previous writing and copy editing experience.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Strong proficiency in keynote, powerpoint, MS office and Google suite.
Please send your CV and writing samples to AMAKA's email.
Start Date: October 1st
Hours: 40 per week
Job Type: Full-time