Amnesty Tech is seeking a PR and Media Consultant to join their team and play a key role in the development and implementation of innovative communications strategies. Amnesty Tech is an inter-disciplinary global team of technologists, campaigners, and researchers, with a mission to protect and extend human rights in a world of rapid technological change. Amnesty Tech’s vision is a world where human rights are guaranteed and fostered by the advancement of new technologies – instead of being threatened and eroded - and where the social, legal and economic structures that underpin those advancements are fair, transparent and accountable
This is a six-months position.
In this exciting role, you will develop and implement innovative communication strategies on issues relating to technology and human rights, with a focus on security and surveillance. You will deliver media and public relations campaigns on Amnesty Tech’s work to delegitimize the surveillance industry. You will build the organization’s profile as a leader on tech and human rights with key audiences. You will raise Amnesty Tech’s social media profile and build digital channels into overall media plans. You will play a key role in ensuring effective collaboration between Amnesty Tech and other parts of the organization, particularly within the Campaigns and Communications directorate to ensure effective collaboration and timely delivery of projects. The role may also support cutting-edge investigations on human rights abuses related to surveillance and digital attacks against activists.
A motivated self-starter, with proven experience in journalism or public relations. You have a strong track record in developing and executing successful communication campaigns for change. You have demonstrated experience in successfully utilizing international media and digital channels for advocacy work. You have an excellent understanding of international human rights issues and technology trends. You are a skilled writer, and a flexible worker who performs well under pressure. A committed team player, who is collaborative but enjoys a challenge and is committed to finding new and innovative ways to communicate to achieve change.
* Develop and implement a public relations programme to build Amnesty International’s profile as a leader on tech and human rights.
* Lead a public relations programme on Amnesty Tech’s work to delegitimize the surveillance industry; includes pro-active media liaison; pitching stories, identifying reactive opportunities, providing media briefings; writing media materials; and responding to media requests.
* Raise Amnesty Tech’s social media profile and build digital channels into overall media plans and activity.
* Produce relevant timely content across all channels for key campaigns.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
* Substantial, relevant experience in a similar role in journalism or public relations, in an international environment
* Experience of developing and implementing successful public relations and communications campaigns
* Understanding of technology, international political and human rights issues
* Strong knowledge of international and tech media, with established contacts.
* Extensive experience in producing a wide range of relevant communications content for different audiences and channels
* Proven experience in utilizing digital channels within a business, with an understanding of how digital tools can assist communications campaigns
* Strong communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills
* Ability to work in high pressured environment while managing competing priorities and deadlines
* Knowledge of Amnesty International and interest in, and personal commitment to, the full range of human rights
* Fluency in written and spoken English
* Fluency in other language is ideal
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 7 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world and have:
* more than 2 million members and supporters who drive forward our fight for rights
* more than 5 million activists who strengthen our calls for justice
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they're denied. And whether we're applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we're all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere. At Amnesty International, we are passionate about what we do and we are proud of our achievements as a movement. To compensate our employees for the critical work they do, we reward them through a combination of an attractive and sector competitive salary and benefits package, high levels of engagement and involvement, and a commitment to employee development.
WHAT WE HOPE YOU WILL DO NEXT
If you are talented, passionate about human rights and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to change the world then we would encourage you to click ‘Apply for this Role’ below. Freedom, Justice, Equality. Let's get to work. N.B. We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.