Refinery29 elevates and celebrates the voices and experiences of young women, with a passion for service, storytelling and new ideas across six core categories — style, beauty, lifestyle, entertainment, wellness, and news. Refinery29 is an ambitious, fast-paced brand, driven by a desire to educate, inspire, and give voice to our audience, opening up important new conversations and challenging the status quo. We look to expand the audience and impact of R29, with an eye towards integrity, innovation, and inclusivity.
What Makes an R29er?
The commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to celebrate women for exactly who they are and to be a catalyst to realize the infinite potential in that power. We’re magic makers who see possibilities and turn dreams into reality.
About The Role:
Refinery29 is seeking a creative, analytical candidate to join the editorial content strategy team. This person is knowledgeable of search optimization, data analysis, editorial best practices, Refinery29’s content and the media industry as a whole. S/he is responsible for executing strategies to increase SEO traffic, search visibility and keyword ranking for Refinery29.com, as well as finding and following trending topics for writers to report on. S/he is also responsible for implementing monthly strategies and content calendars for their categories covering both evergreen and trending topics.
What you’ll do:
We’re looking for an SEO expert to build affiliate revenue and traffic across all of our verticals — fashion, beauty, lifestyle, wellness, entertainment, and news categories — with a particular emphasis on Fashion, Beauty, and Lifestyle.
* Grow organic search traffic to affiliate stories and help with boosting CTR and affiliate revenue on refinery29.com through SEO best practices and content growth strategies
* Identify up-and-coming products and categories to build Shopping content around for all verticals (fashion, beauty, work & money/tech, wellness, entertainment, and news) and make publishing recommendations around story structure, meta data, timing, and more to maximize search and revenue opportunity
* Own Beauty, Fashion, and/or Lifestyle organic traffic, creating monthly strategy documents for evergreen and timely keywords and topics and developing strategies to build authority around topics; success will be measured in affiliate revenue and organic traffic
* Elevate Refinery29’s presence in Google search as an authority on Beauty/Fashion/Lifestyle trends and resource for shopping across categories
* Pitch Shopping-based stories across categories, guiding associate-level strategists on the best way to execute stories to maximize traffic and revenue: you should be enough of an expert to pitch content that makes sense verticals in a way that captures user search
* Find new opportunities to maximize SERP for strategic topics/keywords
* Work with Content Strategy and Insights team to analyze and communicate metrics related to search traffic, keyword performance, and affiliate spend to the larger editorial team
* Assist the Director of Content Strategy with research and presentations surrounding SEO, Affiliate performance, content strategy, and story performance
* Candidate must have 5+ years of hands-on SEO experience, including keyword research, content optimization, link building, and knowledge of on- and off-page SEO best practices
* Candidate should have experience using Google Analytics and other data analytics platforms; DOMO a plus
* Candidate must be a team player who is enthusiastic, adaptable to change, very organized, and skilled at multitasking
* Candidate should have experience in journalism best practices and ethics
* Someone with experience both in digital-writing or working with a digital editorial team and experience in data analysis and research.
* Adept in technology and web applications (Excel, Parse.ly, SEMrush, Google Analytics, Google Shopping, and Webmaster Tools will be used frequently in this role)
* Experience working on a marketing team or with marketing strategy is a plus
* Affinity and knowledge in fashion and in pop culture and women’s issues; we want someone who follows the news closely; TV & Entertainment knowledge a plus
To be successful here you are:
* Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high volume team and managing others
* Someone who enjoys problem-solving in an ever-changing environment
* Inspired to push boundaries and be a thought leader
* Ready to take on more work and assist others