Refinery29 elevates and celebrates the voices and experiences of young women, with a passion for service, storytelling and new ideas across six core categories — style, beauty, lifestyle, entertainment, wellness, and news.
Refinery29 is an ambitious, fast-paced brand, driven by a desire to educate, inspire, and give voice to our audience, while opening up important new conversations and challenging the status quo. We look to expand the audience and impact of R29, with an eye towards integrity, innovation, and inclusivity.
About The Job
As a freelance trending entertainment writer, you’ve got your eyes and ears tuned to all things pop culture, from what’s on screen, to how celebrities are making headlines, to the next musicians who will be sweeping up that coveted Best New Artist Grammy. You’re on the pulse of TikTok and YouTuber culture, know how to write for a diverse and inclusive audience, and aren’t afraid to take risks when capturing the Refinery29 voice. You’re a quick reporter who’s able to turn around a breaking news story in a flash, and you never shy away from reaching out to a source about a difficult topic.
What you'll do:
* Write 2-5 (exact number based on your manager’s discretion) originally reported stories a day that deliver sharp, inspiring, informational and humorous takes on the most compelling and emerging ideas, stories, TV shows, movies, pop culture, and conversations
* Collaborate with the SEO, Social, and Email teams to optimize content
* Continuously offer fresh ideas and pitches you won’t find at any other publications
* Occasionally work different hours or a weekend evening to help cover an event (award show, premiere) within your beat
To be successful here you are:
* Comfortable and energized working in a fast-paced, high volume operation
* Collaborative and open to feedback in pursuit of constantly pushing content to new heights
* Ready to adapt with an ever-changing environment and industry